To keep clients healthy and safe, and to prolong the life of your equipment, it’s important to regularly clean your equipment from top to bottom and perform scheduled maintenance checks to ensure your equipment is performing optimally.
Studios should implement stringent cleaning and disinfecting protocols, including cleaning equipment and props after every client, wiping down high-touch surfaces daily, and performing regular deep cleans of equipment and studio space.
Here’s some guidance on what products are best for disinfecting Merrithew™ equipment and everyday best practices you should implement to maintain a hygienic studio environment.
How best to clean Merrithew equipment
Use a bleach and water solution on equipment and props. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a solution of 5 tablespoons of household bleach to 1 gallon of water (3.7 litres) as an effective disinfectant that can kill up to 99.9% of germs on surfaces.
To use this method of cleaning, mix the solution and place in a spray bottle. Spray the equipment thoroughly and wipe with a cotton cloth. Allow the solution to remain in contact for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm, clean water to remove any residue. Please note, leaving the solution longer than 10 minutes has no added benefit. Once surfaces are completely dry, you can use the equipment as usual.
Remember: Even when diluted, bleach can remove or change fabric colors. To reduce the risk of bleaching fabrics, rinse surfaces thoroughly with water.
Use Virox 5 on equipment and props. This one-step disinfectant cleaner is both virucidal and bactericidal and comes as a liquid or wipe. It’s recommended that you spread this cleaner on the equipment using a clean cotton cloth. Allow it to rest on the surface for 5 minutes and then wipe away any residue with water and a clean cloth. If you have sensitivities to chemicals or scents, we encourage you to review the manufacturer’s information carefully before using this product
Note: Leaving the product on for more time than is outlined above has no added benefit.
Detailed cleaning info
Maintaining a hygienic studio environment every day
Contact customer service
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily, like doorknobs, light switches, faucets, toilets, soap and paper towel dispensers, lockers, and water refill stations, etc. with a regular household cleaning disinfectant. Here are some recommended cleaning products
- Clean equipment, barres, props after every client and class
- Display posters that promote proper hand-washing hygiene. That means washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and rubbing in all directions (nails, top of hands, palms, fingertips, thumbs and in between all fingers) especially after going to the bathroom, before and after eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
- Provide hand sanitizer to clients
- Encourage clients and staff to stay home if they’re sick
- Encourage clients and staff to avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth; and to cover any cough or sneeze with a tissue or with the elbow