As Leaders in Mindful Movement™ the Merrithew™ name is synonymous with world-class educational programs, training and equipment. Co-founded by Lindsay and Moira Merrithew, for over 30 years Merrithew has developed cutting-edge programming and equipment based on the very latest in exercise science. To date, Merrithew has trained over 50,000 students around the world, and has influenced countless more.
Merrithew’s premium Pilates brand, STOTT PILATES® is a contemporary approach to the original exercise method pioneered by the late Joseph Pilates, and is one of the safest, most effective methods of exercise available. Based on the principles of STOTT PILATES, and incorporating the most up-to-date research in health and fitness, Merrithew’s offerings include the branded programs ZEN•GA®, CORE™ Athletic Conditioning & Performance Training™, Total Barre™, and Halo® Training, as well as a library of over 150 professional and consumer DVD titles that span varying fitness and experience levels.
Merrithew also offers Pilates training for health care professionals with STOTT PILATES Rehabilitation Program, and a range of specialized rehab equipment and accessories.
Merrithew equipment and accessories are recognized as The Professional’s Choice™ – crafted from the highest-quality materials for maximum performance, and incorporate Merrithew’s ongoing commitment to eco-friendliness.
The mission of Merrithew is to motivate people of all ages and life stages to lead healthier lives through high-quality fitness brands. We do this by supporting and inspiring people worldwide to achieve optimal fitness and wellness through premium programming and equipment. Our vision and mission are based on the value we place on education, connection, respect, passion, integrity, leadership, accountability and quality.
The company’s slogan captures our vision and mission succinctly: Leaders in Mindful Movement.
Our goal is to promote the integrity and credibility of our Pilates and fitness brands to consumers and professionals worldwide – and remain a leader in the health and fitness industry.
In 1988, Lindsay and Moira Merrithew opened their first Pilates studio in Toronto, Canada. Recognizing a growing market demand for Pilates and a scarcity of suppliers, Lindsay, President & CEO, focused on building and diversifying the business. Moira, Executive Director, Education, who had certified as an Instructor at the original Pilates studio in New York, began training clients. Together, they realized that the benefits of Pilates could help people of all ages and abilities, so the entrepreneurs set out to bring awareness, demystify the method and make it available to a wider audience.
With a team of business and health and fitness experts, Lindsay created a vertical approach to the business with strict attention to detail at every level, from equipment to programming. Much of Merrithew’s equipment is manufactured and assembled at the company plant in Toronto, Canada. Meanwhile, the Corporate Training Center at Merrithew’s corporate headquarters is the nexus for Instructor training and education programming. Merrithew’s network of Licensed Training Centers and distributors stretches around the globe, and the community of Certified Instructors and clients is continually expanding.
- 1988 Company founded
- 1991 Danforth Avenue studio opens in Toronto, Ontario
- 1993 Equipment manufacturing division established
- 1994 Education division established to train and certify Instructors
- 1996 First manufacturing facility opens on Carlaw Avenue in Toronto, Ontario
- 1997 First Licensed Training Center opens in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- 1998 First training video produced. Danforth studio is sold. Corporate Training Center opens and global headquarters moves to current location on Yonge Street in Toronto, Ontario
- 2000 Merrithew™ is recognized as one of Canada’s Fastest-growing Companies by PROFIT Magazine. Merrithew will go on to win this recognition in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004
- 2001 First training manuals published
- 2002 First DVD series is produced
- 2003 Lindsay G. Merrithew is a finalist for Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2004 Lindsay G. Merrithew is a finalist for Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2012 Co-founders Lindsay and Moira Merrithew named Inner IDEA Inspiration Award winners. Branded programs ZEN•GA® and CORE™ Athletic Conditioning and Performance Training™ are introduced
- 2013 Branded program Total Barre™ is introduced. A new Merrithew manufacturing plant opens on Tapscott Road, Toronto, Ontario
- 2014 Name changed from Merrithew Health & Fitness to Merrithew™ — Leaders in Mindful Movement™
- 2016 Over 45,000 trained worldwide. Extensive global network of Training Centers and international distribution network