Get your clients ready for summer and sport-specific water activities with this rowing and paddling push-pull training sequence on the V2 Max™ Reformer.
This Exercise of the Month, demonstrated by Master Instructor Trainer PJ O’Clair, comes from the STOTT PILATES® Athletic Conditioning on the Reformer, Level 3 workshop. It will challenge your clients’ strength, mobility and control on the Reformer by replicating a sport-specific movement using spring resistance.
PJ explains how to use the Roll-Down Bar to mimic rowing and paddling motions, activating the core, stabilizers, and posterior chain. This push-pull pattern can be progressed by adding in a side bend and rotation, as PJ shows in the video.
- PJ is using half a spring, but you could go heavier if desired
- Apply equal force with both arms on the concentric and eccentric phases
- Inhale to pull in; exhale to push out
- Once you add in the rotation, keep gaze straight ahead as you would on the water
- Use your core to control the carriage motion
Watch more Exercise of the Month videos >