Creating safe exercise programs for clients with scoliosis can be a daunting task. This workshop is the first in a series of Scoliosis educational offerings being created by the Merrithew™ team. It seeks to demystify approaches to working with this three dimensional spinal condition that can be both intimidating and challenging to understand. After reviewing spinal anatomy and physiology, etiology and prevalent types of scoliosis and its diagnosis and treatment, explore programming principles of postural alignment, focused breathing, elongation and postural correction that facilitate safe and effective exercise programs. Experience how to pad for 3 and 4 curve scoliosis and what types of movements should be included and avoided.
- Define the main classifications of scoliosis and describe the bony changes that occur
- Discuss spinal anatomy and the motions that occur in each major segment of the spine and why certain movements are contraindicated in scoliosis
- Identify the postural features of a typical 3 curve and 4 curve scoliosis pattern
- Articulate the basic ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ for scoliosis exercise programming
- Accurately apply padding, pelvic corrections, self-elongation and breathing techniques for scoliosis
- Discuss exercise programming using a variety of tools and equipment
Equipment used in this workshop