STOTT PILATES® Continuing Education
Frequently Asked Questions
STOTT PILATES® Certified Instructors are required to obtain six hours of MERRITHEW™ Continuing Education Credits (0.6 CECs) annually to maintain their certification. The following questions and answers help explain the program in more detail.
Q. Why maintain my certification?
A. Credible certification is becoming increasingly important to employers, insurance companies and consumers. In fact, experts agree that to ensure long-term sustainability and better service the public, the fitness industry will eventually need to make certification mandatory. STOTT PILATES Certification is well respected in the fitness industry due to our high education standards and our mission to stay on top of new research and industry advancements.
Q. Why have a Continuing Education Credit (CEC) Program?
A. The STOTT PILATES CEC Program was developed to provide all Certified Instructors and Instructor Trainers with ongoing learning opportunities to keep skills current and maintain a high quality of education. In addition, this will help you stay abreast of the latest advancements in exercise science and the MERRITHEW repertoire.
Q. How many CECs must I earn annually?
A. STOTT PILATES Certified Instructors are required to obtain 0.6 CECs (six hours) annually to maintain their certification. Credits can be accumulated through additional courses or workshops.
Q. How soon after I receive my certification will I have to start earning
A. Every student has one full calendar year to earn their credits, beginning January 1st, the year following successful completion of your exam. For example, if you successfully complete your exam(s) in July 2016, your first CEC period begins January 1, 2017 and ends December 31, 2017. CECs are earned every year for the calendar year (Jan–Dec). CECs are not transferable from one year to another.
Q. How do I complete my CECs?
You can complete your CECs through any combination of the following:
- Attend a STOTT PILATES®, CORE™ Athletic Conditioning & Performance Training™, Total Barre™, ZEN∙GA™ or Halo® Training workshop or presentation at a trade show, Licensed Training Center, Host site, or at the Toronto CTC.
- Complete a customized repertoire review with a MERRITHEW Instructor Trainer.*
- Complete a teaching evaluation with a MERRITHEW Instructor Trainer.*
- Take an anatomy, biomechanics, exercise physiology or other exercise science course or workshop. If this is a non-STOTT PILATES course it must be petitioned for acceptance. A maximum of 0.2 CECs can be earned this way. The petition fee is $25.00, plus applicable taxes. Petition fee is non-refundable, regardless if approved or not. More than one non STOTT PILATES petition can be submitted however a maximum of 0.2 CECs will be awarded once approved.
- Study a MERRITHEW DVD and submit a video (either via mail or submitted electronically through merrithew.wetransfer.com) for evaluation of your teaching a selection of the subject matter to a client. Physical DVDs are accepted, but must be recorded on a brand name DVD (e.g. Sony). A petition form must accompany your video submission along with the petition fee. For every MERRITHEW DVD you review, submit a 15-minute videotaped segment of yourself teaching the subject matter. Earn 0.1 CEC per 15 minutes (e.g. watch three videos, submit a 45-minute long segment to earn 0.3 CECs). The petition fee is $25.00 USD/CAD, plus applicable taxes per 15-minute submission. Please note, video submissions will not count towards Specialty Tracks.
* Prices may vary per facility or trade show
Q. What if I fail to earn my CECs?
A. At MERRITHEW we believe our CEC program is an important part of being a STOTT PILATES Certified Instructor. In late 2013, we launched a CEC extension program for anyone unable to complete their CECs by December 31. This program allows you to pay a nominal fee to obtain an extension to May 31 of the next calendar year to complete the requirements. The extension fee for 0.2 CECs is $25.00 USD/CAD, plus applicable taxes, and $75.00 USD/CAD for 0.6 CECs, plus applicable taxes. If you fail to earn your CECs your Certification status will be changed to “not current” on the Instructor Finder at Merrithew.com. To request an extension please email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. If I have become “not current” on the Instructor Finder how do I
make myself current?
A. If a person is more than 1 year behind in CECs, they will be required to pay a fee of $75.00, plus applicable taxes for 0.6 CECs per year behind, plus participate in the required CECs for years missed. The maximum is for 3 years ($225.00), plus 1.8 CECs must be completed.
Q. Is there an annual renewal fee?
A. There is no annual renewal fee. The cost of maintaining your CEC status depends on which CEC option you choose.
Q. What does a customized repertoire review involve?
A. This involves booking a private session with a MERRITHEW Instructor Trainer to review basic principles, relevant modifications and/or any MERRITHEW exercise updates. All 0.6 CECs (6 hrs with an IT) can be earned with a customized repertoire review. Repertoire review sessions may be booked with the CEC Coordinator to be sure your CECs are accounted for. Please be sure to receive your CEC evaluation form from the IT and send this to MERRITHEW along with the CEC submission form to prove your attendance.
Q. What is a teaching evaluation?
A. A teaching evaluation involves taking a MERRITHEW Instructor Trainer through a workout so they may evaluate your teaching abilities and provide you with feedback. A maximum of 0.4 credits can be allocated for teaching evaluation sessions.
Q. How many credits are awarded for a STOTT PILATES Workshop?
A. This is dependent on the length of the workshop. As a rule, 0.1 credit is awarded per hour of study. For example, 3 hours workshops are worth 0.3 CECs.
Q. How do I gain credits by attending MERRITHEW Workshops?
A. When taking a workshop at the Toronto Corporate Training Center, Licensed Training Centers, and Host Centers or at MERRITHEW workshops or presentations at trade shows, your credits are issued automatically upon completion. You will receive a completion letter from MERRITHEW 4–6 weeks later stating the CECs earned.
For MERRITHEW workshops or presentations at trade shows, you are responsible for sending the documentation to the Corporate Training Center in Toronto using the CEC Submission Form.
Q. How do I make a submission for my CECs?
A. You are required to keep track of all your Continuing Education Credits (workshops, videos, petitions, private evaluations etc.) and retain all relevant documents. These, along with a CEC Submission Form, must be received by us no later than December 15 of each year.
Q. Does the course or workshop have to be a MERRITHEW workshop?
If a course or workshop you have attended has not been previously approved for STOTT PILATES CECs, you may petition for CEC approval. Simply send the following information to MERRITHEW for consideration:
- Administration fee ($25.00 USD/CAD, plus applicable taxes)
- Course description/outline
- List of course objectives
- Instructor biography
- Proof of attendance (Online CEC Petition Form)
Petitions will not be reviewed if all of the above information is not included in the submission. All petitions and documentation must be submitted no later than December 31 for review in the current calendar year. Any petition submitted after this date will incur a backdate fee.
Q. How will I know if my non-MERRITHEW workshop is approved?
A. MERRITHEW cannot guarantee that CECs will be issued for courses or workshops not pre-approved. Please allow four to six weeks to review your request. You will receive confirmation by mail or email. If you do not receive confirmation, please contact us.
Q. Does auditing a course count toward my CECs?
A. Graduates and students are welcome to audit courses at the Toronto Corporate Training Center, or any Licensed Training Center. Auditing a course will not count toward your CECs, but is a great way to refresh your memory. To arrange a course audit, contact the appropriate facility.
Online Petition for STOTT PILATES® Continuing Education Credits
Download a CEC Submission Form
Video Submission Form