Senior Director, Commercial Sales
The Senior Director, Commercial Sales is a front-line management position responsible for the leadership of a sales team that services clients in the professional Fitness Market. This position is responsible for overseeing the achievement of annual revenue and profitability objectives, and long-term strategic planning of promotional activities for the company’s various marketing channels.
The Commercial Sales department is structured as two divisions: the Business Development Team which manages incoming leads and ongoing repeat business from fitness facilities, clinics, hotels, athletes and fitness enthusiasts, and the Partner Sales Team which manages business relationships through fitness equipment Distributors/Resellers, Rehab/Medical Distributors/Resellers internationally.
- Lead and manage the sales team (including the UK Sales team member) with accountability for the effectiveness of the entire group, including responsibility for new and organic revenue growth.
- Champion and lead the establishment of new sales opportunities; enhance the overall effectiveness of Merrithew sales channels.
- Create strategies and customize solutions to service, maintain and increase volume of current business.
- Ensure that sales plans and activities are aligned to the team’s sales and profitability targets.
- Management of commercial content for merrithew.com, including all new product additions and updates, content creation – description, DIMs, F&Bs etc
- Build and maintain key relationships with customers and preferred vendor relationships.
- Identify, research, qualify and recommend potential distribution partners
- Manage new partner contracts and renewals including the onboarding of new Distributor and Reseller partners.
- Oversight of quarterly Distributor sales and marketing programs.
- Annual contract review of Distributor sales numbers for marketing incentive and sales rebates eligibility
- Lead equipment product training for commercial team and external clients and sales teams.
- Build relationships with aftermarket sellers.
- Ongoing review and analysis of competitive websites and sales collateral.
- Management of annual Commercial department marketing budget spend; develop and review annual departmental promotions plan
- In collaboration with the marketing department, create sales collateral, including Equipment Catalogues, flyers for new products and trade shows, price lists, product inserts, and distributor sell sheets
- Determine products to be featured at Trade Shows and develop sales collateral; attend larger priority International Shows
- Product selection and pricing strategy for corporate promotional events including “Friends and Family”, “Black Friday/Cyber Monday”, “Holiday Gift Guide”, etc.
- Initial budget review preparation, including setting budget targets for revenue and expense items for the Commercial business group; analyze and control expenditures to meet budget requirements and ensure business targets and financial information is tracked and targeted against the business plan.
- Allocate sales targets for Distributor/Reseller accounts.
- Quarterly review/summary of qualified sales by sales rep.; preparation of commissions including annual true-ups
- Oversee the price, product info, status updates in the system for all commercial products
- CRM – work with IT to develop and enhance systems, reporting and tracking of information related to key customer service initiatives
- Identify, report, and work with plant production team to resolve issues related to product performance, quality processes and customer satisfaction; review open orders as needed.
- Management and outbound messaging and communication of price changes, branding changes and any other customer-facing policy issues
- Oversight and management of UK 3PL inventory.
- Analysis of inventory movement to forecast needs, and inventory transfers from the plant location; consolidate with cross-docks.
- Gathering feedback from clients and reviewing competitive sites to provide input on potential new equipment
- Finalizing annual projections to determine inventory levels
- Manage transition of product modifications/upgrades through internal systems to collateral to market
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in business, coupled with 5+ years of experience in senior sales positions with increasingly responsible and proven sales accomplishments ideally in the fitness or fitness related industry.
- Highly motivated and proactive sales leader with well-defined sales and business acumen, commitment to bottom-line results and an entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to train, manage, motivate and hold sales resources accountable to expected results – create a positive employee and customer experience – maintain confidentiality and have high standards of integrity
- U.S. and international B2B and B2C experience an asset
- Articulate communicator, with excellent presentation, organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills.
- Domestic and international travel