Bianca and Rie on keeping fit, healthy and happy at home
Two Lead Instructor Trainers share their tips for how they’re practicing self-care, managing stress and staying mindful.
We spoke to Merrithew™ Lead Instructor Trainers Bianca Bolissian and Rie Sakamoto about how they’re keeping fit, healthy and happy at home. Here are their tips!
Q: How do you practice self-care and manage stress?
Bianca: “I have a 30-minute yoga routine that I do as many times a week as I can. I do a trail walk by my house, weather permitting. I also binge watch TV when I feel like it and don’t guilt trip myself because of it.”
- Meditate at least a few minutes every day. I take deep breaths if I feel anything negative rising.
- FaceTime with family and friends to keep sane and support each other!
Rie: “Work, eat and go to bed at regular times even though I’m working from home. Scheduling a precise daily routine helps me stay focused on each moment/task without feeling anxious or stuck at home.”
- List at least three things you’re grateful for every night before bed. You will be amazed once you realize how fortunate you are.
- Watch something funny. Laughing is a MUST!
Q: What’s your favorite mindful movement exercise to do at home?
Rie: “Bounce Restorative Exercises from the Merrithew™ Fascial Movement Foundation Course and anything from the STOTT PILATES® Matwork repertoire. I try to do these exercises first thing in the morning.”
- My favorite prop to use at home is the Mini Stability Ball™. It’s great for fascial release, breathing and relaxation exercises and strengthening.
Bianca: “Stretch and Strength STOTT PILATES workouts! I’ve been doing LIVES on IG and they are keeping me focused and strong.”
- The Flex-Band® Loop is my favorite prop for glute strength. It helps me with my chronic knee and low back pain. Using it for classic clamshells is my go-to!
Q: What’s your favorite movie/book/podcast or other activity right now?
Bianca: “I’m currently reading Outrageous Openness by Tosha Silver. I’m listening to Under the Skin with Russell Brand and I’m watching La Casa de Papel (Money Heist).”
Rie: “I’m watching Global National News and BBC Global News. I’m listening to Ultimate Health podcast and watching many comedy and stand-up shows.”