April is Earth Awareness Month!
Enjoying wellness isn’t just limited to how you treat your body – it applies to every facet of our lives that touches us, including taking care of planet Earth! Earth awareness month encourages everyone to appreciate our exquisite and delicate planet.
From larger events like Earth Walk to smaller-yet-still-impactful initiatives like Earth Hour, we’re all encouraged to take inspired action to promote environmental awareness. Let’s work together to sustain the one planet we have to live on and each do our part!
Have you considered your personal impact on the planet? These stats may make you re-evaluate even the smallest decisions you make from day-to-day:
- The quantity of plastic water bottles used in one year could circle the planet 185 times
- The average American uses between 80 and 100 gallons of water per day
- 1 in 20 Americans admit that they never recycle
- A single meal could have ingredients that have travelled from upwards of five countries
- Fitness facilities could save 2.5 gallons of water per minute by installing low-flow faucets in sinks and showers and low-flow toilets
Here are some things that studio owners and instructors can do this month to make your contribution and build awareness within your fitness community for all things green:
- Host a candlelit mind-body exercise class at your studio; alternatively if the weather permits, host an outdoor class to get closer to nature!
- Pair a recycling event with an exclusive sale featuring environmentally friendly products – for example, encourage community members to trade in their old yoga mat for a discount on a new eco-friendly one!
- Eliminate/reduce print materials in favour of online materials
And these are just a few ideas that you can put into practice today. What do you do to protect the planet? We’d love for you to tweet us your tips and share them on our Facebook page too.