Additional Course Information
Stability Barre Instructor Foundation Course, Level 1
The biomechanical and musculoskeletal needs of a dancer can be markedly different from that of other athletes, and the methods used to fulfill them must be equally diverse. This foundational program developed by the Merrithew Health and Fitness Team will examine those needs and teach instructors how to put together programs that focus on these requirements along with how routines that incorporate them can be used to teach the average person to move, feel and look like a dancer. The groundwork established will allow the instructor to use the template to program for all participants. Professional dancers, dancers in training or anyone, male or female will benefit from the combination of precision barre and targeted floor work that supports the barre repertoire along with the advantage of the STOTT PILATES® Five Basic Principles. Pelvic, spinal and shoulder girdle alignment will be examined along with the concepts of dynamic stability, optimal mobility and movement efficiency. Additional concepts will be explored including the mechanics of plyometrics and the value of cardio-based intervals within a program. With these things in mind, attention to cueing, correcting and progressing a class will be considered, making this one of the most popular and fun choices for barre programming available.
- Explore the biomechanical and musculoskeletal needs of a dancer.
- Break down various dance movements and explore the stabilization and mobilization required to achieve them.
- Discuss the benefits of achieving a dancer-like body.
- Experience how the STOTT PILATES Five Basic Principles, particularly breath can affect the look and feel of a dance movement.
- Apply the additional concepts of hip, knee, ankle and foot mechanics as they relate to stabilization and mobilization in a variety of ranges.
Format: Instructor Course
Audience: Pilates instructors, personal trainers, group fitness instructors
Time required: 7 hours
- Stability Barre™ (6’, 2:1; 8’ 3:1)
- Pilates Mat (1:1)
- 7” Mini Stability Ball™ (1:1)
CECs: 0.7 STOTT PILATES
Level of Difficulty: Essential